Unlimited

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
LokiLeader
Elit3Fla5h
6 posters

Dwarf Fortress!

Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Dwarf Fortress! - Page 4 Empty Re: Dwarf Fortress!

Post by Raxistaicho Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:34 am

No, I only used the tileset. I don't wanna make the game easier less fun! D:

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Dwarf therapist is almost required... The game is a pain without it. I would REALLY recommend it.

It doesn't necessarily make the Game-play easier... It makes the UI more user friendly... in a way.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:37 pm

What's Dwarf Therapist do?

So my second Fortress ended up in a cold wilderness region. snow's pretty much constant from mid-fall to mid-spring. Predicting a non-existent fish industry and a summer-only meat industry, I set a lot of farmland and have 4 of my 10 dwarves working the fields. I can only hope I get farm-ready migrants.

I caused two cave-ins while trying to set up pseudo-outdoor areas inside my fortress to grow Wild Strawberry XD hilariously, the dwarf who got caved in-on was knocked out but not harmed both times, and didn't seem terribly bothered by the ordeal.

Because there's no mountains at my starting Z-level (indeed, I noticed later I started one on of the higher-up above ground areas) I just dug straight down. My new fortress has a pretty long 3-wide path before you even get in, which I will riddle with traps. Worst comes to worst, I set a drawbridge at the entrance already. The only thing I need above ground this time is wood.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 pm

A General tip is to allways start with some sort of bird. Farm birds like Chickens require very little care and provide ALOT of eggs over time. Turkeys provide more meat. Blue peahen lay generally more eggs... Ect..

Oh and dwarf therapist provides a little interface to where you can more easily manage your dwarfs' jobs. It tells you their skill lvl and lets you easily designate what he does... much easier than having to go to every single dwarf and change it that way.. Makes the game more manageable. 

oh and a Huge cave-in could cause no damage and a small one could Kill a dwarf instantly... its very random with cave-ins.

Drawbridges & Traps are OP

Then again so are Some forgotten beasts...

Edit: So what graphics pack you using?
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm not sure tbh. I'll take a screencap the next time I get on.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Whelp, one of my dwarves is going to die in the stupidest fucking way possible.

One of my military dwarves (technically my only one, but I digress) got his leg wounded (it's yellow, which according to wiki means it should work to SOME extent) but he's just staying in one spot, and my other dwarves are happily ignoring him and leaving him to fucking die.

I tripple-checked all their labors, EVERY ONE has rescue patient and provide food/water turned on, I even made a hospital and a chief medical dwarf (who is currently lazing around with no job on) and they're still just ignoring the bastard.

What the fuck, seriously.

Okay, so after setting up a burrow ON THE FOOD PILE and activating the alert, it turns out Urist McSuicidal CAN sorta move, he just can't be bothered.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:15 pm

I bought a pair of Giant Echidnas from the elves today!

So how do I get them to eat and not die so they can make eggs and sweet butcherable babies?

Post by Guest Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Well first make sure its a male and a female... then set a Zone for them and put a nest box or two in it. They are not grazing animals so they don't need grass. Then when they lay an egg make sure you either forbid it or set your food stockpile to not except Those type of eggs.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Oh, so they don't need grazing? ^^;

Gotcha. How do I ensure they stay fed?

Wow, My first two migrant waves were 2 dwarves each. Then my third lobbed 29 dwarves at once at me.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:02 pm

hmm since its a mammal it might need a dwarf caretaker.. Just make sure you have a dwarf that has the 'Animal Care' Job enabled.

Yeah ur migrant wave is directly related to how well ur fortress is doing(or at least how well the yearly caravan thinks your doing). Easiest way to stop the migrants is to sack a few caravans.

Two other tips i thought of:
    -Dont trave anything wood to elves
    -Most nobles REFUSE to do any work
    BONUS TIP:
    -A Broken dwarf is a useless dwarf and should be sacrificed to the blood god!
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:59 am

Praise the miners! After nearly two full years, we're finally struck iron!

Praise Armok!
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Times are good, now, but in preparation for things going positively ungood, I've prepared a death course filled with traps for any goblin sieges that might be coming.

My metal industry is still young; my military is still not equipped for serious combat, but that should be changing soon.

(Can enemies free each other from cages?)

Post by Guest Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:18 pm

No they can't... For now

Traps are getting a big rework in upcoming releases 

Ogres can destroy structures tho... so it could possably break the trap before it is sprung, If it's smart enough... But yeah after a cage trap is sprung it ceases to be a structure...

Another thing. If a diplomat from another race enters your fortress and speaks with your leader he gain knowledge of all currently placed traps. If you later go to war with them all their troops will have trap avoid for all traps you had when he was there...

I've only ever had friendly goblins once... But i got fucked up by elves once after they just walked through my tunnel of many spears Sad
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:25 pm

I've only had a diplomat from my fellow dwarves so far.

The food situation in my fortress is becoming a clusterfuck.

Dwarves are taking FOREVER to get around to planting seeds, they keep griping that I have no solid food/boozable plants to cook/boozify, and when the dwarves DO get around to planting I tend to get spammed with dun have seed messages.

Now I have about 500 units of prepared food and booze each, so I'm not terribly worried, but it's something to get around to.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Shit.

My Expedition leader got promoted to a Mayor.

I have an official, not a nice and complacent bookkeeper/broker, noble to deal with.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Oh Jesus, a vampire infiltrated my Fortress!!!

Aha! Found the little devil! What a shame; he's one of my better military dwarves.

Time to arrange an accident.

Edit Again: I convicted him of the crime. My dwarves gave him a beating *facepalm* Stake the bastard, morons!
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 pm

That damn vampire struck again, but this time 4 dwarves saw him doing it.

I have a jail and a hammerer now. It's time to send him on a one-way trip back to Meyerland!

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:40 am

before you rid urself of him be sure to check his history... a vampire's is allways interesting
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:15 am

Today, I began a construction project. My dwarves are currently living mostly in clay caverns because I set up my fortress in the Z-level just below the surface. My nobles are down in actual stone so I can engrave their rooms, so I decided to move most of my fortress' functions into the mine and seal off the upper level aside from the farming area. That way my dwarves can be living among stone, as a good dwarf should.

Shouldn't be too hard, I just need to carve out living space, wall off the unncessary parts of the upper level, clear out the upper-level workshops, and move my stockpiles.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Ugh, migrants chose an awful time to show up. I'm still in the middle of sorting out the bedrooms and moving all the stuff around.

The good news is that the vampire finally succumbed to infection from the wounds he took when he was dealt 50 hammerstrokes :p

Post by Guest Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:30 pm

lol, It's rare in my games that i actually get a justice system going... I usually just execute everyone myself...
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:38 am

Well I've found another reason that living in a cold region sucks. My mayor got wounded by a kobold thief and he's currently dying of dehydration, but my mediDwarf is screaming he need disinfecting, but I have no water to clean the wound with.

Really, I don't see why the mayor can't just pop over for a quick pint and then get back to bed; he only got his left thumb hurt.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:03 am

You need to dig a winter well. Water not exposed to outside air wont freeze.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Rock'emSock'emRabbi wrote:You need to dig a winter well. Water not exposed to outside air wont freeze.
    I can't find any underground water sources D:

Well, the mayor died. And her baby died. And her husband and son aren't too happy about the loss of so much family XD

I'm weighing the pros and cons of arranging accidents for the both of them to preempt any trouble they might cause.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:05 am

My First Titan has arrived :DDDD

"The Forest Titan ... Very confusing name ... has come! A gigantic blob composed of flame! It has a round shell (...So it's NOT a blob?) and regal bearing. Beware its web!"

GO KILL IT! I hear enemies composed of non-solid material die easily! FIGHT, DWARVES Very Happy

Edit: The Titan isn't moving, and my dwarves don't wanna attack it :/

That's kinda disappointing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:47 am