Unlimited

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
LokiLeader
Elit3Fla5h
6 posters

Dwarf Fortress!

Ippy
    Ippy
    Admin

Dwarf Fortress! - Page 9 Empty Re: Dwarf Fortress!

Post by Ippy Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Tomboy femdwarf?
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:38 pm

I think before I Gen my next world, I'll remove [Child Snatcher] from the goblins and put it on the elves instead :p
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:10 am

Today, one of the Dorfs had a Strange Mood and made a bed. Out of rubies.

I decided to put it in his room, though I haven't decided whether to call that a punishment or a reward yet. He'll either love sleeping on his masterpiece, or decide making a BED out of hard, rough material was a stupid idea.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:45 pm

For some reason, a Goblin snatcher hit one of the babies he was trying to steal, and the baby now has spinal damage and some loss to motor nerves.

Permanent damage at infancy. We should call this Dwarf Fortress law: if something terrible can happen to you, it will.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:23 pm

I REALLY need to start on Untamed Wilds maps more often Very Happy

I began a new fortress in a world with metals being turned up to max. After a few fortresses with no iron and a running 9 fortresses with no coal whatsoever, I wanted to tweak the odds so I can actually experience what this game has to offer.

I began on a Cold Untamed Wilds map within range of a tower to try to offset the advantage having high metals can provide.

Refuse pile located deep within my fortress, dorfs set to collect refuse outside, found an underground lake ages ago, things are looking pretty nice so far. Can Dorfs catch fish in underground lakes?

So, back to Untamed Wilds. Starting in one made things EASIER. My stockpile of food is currently loaded with Giant Thrips and Giant Crow meat, and my archers don't even need to do any actual training; just hunting has made them ace shots.

Then again, I've yet to see any zombie action. Things might take a turn for the dire once the Necromancers lay eyes on the fortress.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:15 am

Blegh, the start of year 3 for this fortress has been pretty crappy so far. First off an Undead Siege of ~100 undead and 2 necromancers arrived. I managed to kill them using crossbowmen and slowly filtering them into a narrow corridor. Sadly, the necros left before I could kill them. Lost about 5~6 dwarves taking care of that due to accidents and them not being smart.

Then, a Forgotten Beast spawns in the caverns (luckily it was just a web-spitting crab) and it proceeds to swim through my underground reservoir and crawl up into my fortress. Luckily, my marksdwarves happened to be in the area, so they killed it before it could web up and slaughter my entire working force. Unfortunately, it did take one civilian dwarf with it.

Then, just when things were calming down, a goblin ambush arrives and inexplicably kills 3 military dwarves. Not sure how that happened. It's almost fall, and I can only hope things calm down for a while :/ I had to recruit civilians into the military to fill the gaps and put them on 10-person full-time training so they won't constantly complain about the draft when they swap back to being recruits.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:43 pm

PSA: I fucking hate necromancers.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Fuck Necromancers.

I killed one and it fell in the river... Got attacked by an army of zombie clam shells Sad
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:17 pm

How do clam shells move? @.@

Two necromancers arrived in my fortress today ambush-style

"Urist McHunter cancels hunt: distracted by Giant Crow"

Me: Meh, those things always do that. I gotta watch my miners and see if they find more bituminous coal.

"Urist McCarpentry cancels fell tree: distracted by Urist McHunter"

Me: ...Shit.

Long story short, I never found that fucking necromancer, and I could swear he was nearby since he kept rezzing the zombies while my milidwarves were looking for him.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:46 pm

I made a couple changes to my embark setup today. Took out a few unneeded animals and items (you can save a lot of points by switch Plump Helmets for Spawn) so I could bring a pair of Skilled Axemen and Teachers with my newest group. Hopefully the dwarves can get in some more productive combat demonstrations this way.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:03 pm

I turned off weather and temperature (I'm living in a warm region anyways) to save on FPS, and damn, it really worked.

I also shut off kids because they're a waste of space, food, booze and fps. My in-story excuse is that this fortress has an enforced celibacy policy. Or enforced birth control, whichever you like.

I dropped the Pop cap to 150, since the decrease is about how many useless kids I'd have anyways.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:46 pm

In order to cut down on dwarf movement, I split the functions of my fortress up between floors; food storage and dining -> food making (and refuse storage and bone/cloth/leather processing) -> other goods processing (wood and stone related to the north, fuel-needing to the south) -> general storage -> rediential -> vampire prison/mine entrance, all of which is connected by a 3x3 block of stairs. In order to cut down on Cave Adaptation, I have the roof of those stairs open to the sky (covered by glass floor) and am in the process of channeling out the original stairs and replacing them with glass stairs.

Unfortunately, there were accidents in the initial channeling. Two of my legendary miners are now dead, dammit :/

Gotta train up a bunch of newb miners. In other news, I've got my masons carving Marble blocks. ALL THINGS WILL BE BUILT WITH MARBLE.

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:40 am

Building everything out of shiny always seems like a good idea at first lol
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:18 pm

A large goblin seige came today :/

At least 50 goblins and their mounts vs my military of only 10 melee and 10 marksdwarves.

To better my odds, I decided to make use of the famed Dwarven Atom Smasher Very Happy

I converted my main hallway into a death course of 5 2X3 bridges that I'll raise and lower.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:39 pm

I really wish dwarves followed military orders... better. So the goblins are largely routed but haven't suffered enough to retreat yet. I order my marksdwarves after them to mop them up safely.

Goes pretty well for a while, until...

Marksdwarves: OH MY GOD, GIANT HORNED OWL, KILLITKILLITKILLIT, IGNORE THE GOBLINS AND KILL IT! D:
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:41 am

Another Goblin Seige came today. This'll be a long one. Not because of the numbers involved, but because they're causing my FPS to drop to ~7.

It seems my fortresses always end when I reach a point where I stop caring enough that I'm willing to wait for Dwarves to get places.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:28 am

They figured out ur weakness! Spawn many things! lol

Yeah my fortresses always die because i get bored and caught up in some stupid mega construction thing or end up sacrificing all of my dwarfs to the magma god Sad

But you cant harvest their goodies wif an atom smasher///
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:04 pm

I think I'm gonna start atom-smashing my stockpiles just to get rid of excess shit XD

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Clothing... Clothing everywhere...
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:55 pm

Most of which I looted off the bodies of dead elves.

You'd think after 7 years straight of me killing off their caravans they'd get wise and declare war on me.
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:26 am

A were...turtle... attacked my fortress today. My last time fighting one the dwarves took so long to kill it that it turned back to human... and then it died pretty easily, natch. This time, after a whole lot of nothing (Lots of missed/block attacks and body locks between the Wereturtle and a single Axedwarf) the Axedwarf just cut his head off and that was the end of it Smile

NOW YOU WILL KNOW WHY YOU FEAR THE NIGHT. 

Next time I need to turn the beasts up higher. I turned them up to the second highest and so far I'e only seen on Forgotten Beast, two minotaurs, and now this werebeast.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:51 am

I got a weretapir once lol
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:17 pm

The map I'm in gend such that the end of the river is at the bottom of a deep ravine. Needless to say, the constant water falling was killing my fps. Ultimately I decided to just turn temperature of during the winter so that the river would stay permanently frozen.

Cold never bothered me anyway :p
    Raxistaicho
    Raxistaicho

Post by Raxistaicho Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:14 am

Trying to decide how to make the entrance hall to my fortress even deadlier.

At the moment it has the aforementioned alternating bridges, and I'm nearly finished setting up an array of serrated steel disc weapon traps. I've also got a legendary siege operator ready to fire ballistae down the length of the entrance hall (it's only three squares wide), and the entire hall is lined with fortifications so my marksdwarves can fire into it.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 am

Gotta incorporate magma into it somehow..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 4:29 pm